deutsch      français      english      esperanto     

die übersicht

die reise

die berichte

die fotos

der mann

die gedanken

das geld

das gästebuch

die adressen

die links




Das dacht ich mir


seite  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 


Melaka / 07-05-2007 

Hier in Melaka gibt es keine Hochhaeuser. Oder sagen wir, noch in ziemlich bescheidenem Ausmass. In Kuala Lumpur dagegen gibt es viele Hochhaeuser, und es gibt immer mehr. In Georgetown gibt es ebenfalls Hochhaeuser, und auch dort gibt es immer mehr.

Als ich also in Georgetown an meinem zweiten Ruhetag aus der Stadt radelte (hmm, Ruhetag?), um die Straende entlag der Nordkueste von der Insel Penang zu erforschen, radelte ich an solchen Hochhaussiedlungen vorbei. Einzelne Bauwerke waren noch im Bau und starrten mich wie gruslige Skelette an.

Irgendwie aergerte mich diese Hochhausmanie, das ist doch keine Lebensqualitaet! Gleichzeitig hatte ich aber ueberhaupt keine Lust, mich ueber diese Hochhausmanie zu aergern, weshalb mich wohl ploetzlich ein unerhoerter, ja grausamer Fatalismus ueberkam.

Warum denn eigentlich auch nicht, unsere Ueberbevoelkerung einfach in Hochhaeuser zu stapeln bis sich die Menschheit wieder von selbst dezimiert hat - mit dem naechsten, wahrscheinlich praeventiv von den USA angezettelten, grossen Krieg?

Zugegeben, ein trauriger Gedanke. Aber zumindest in Malaysia waeren Hochhaeuser wohl tatsaechlich die bessere Alternative, als noch mehr Urwald abzuholzen um voruebergehend Wohnraum zu schaffen. Wenn eben nicht trotzdem abgeholzt wuerde...

 Visa Run   

Melaka / 07-05-2007 

Organizing a visa can be quite an adventure. Organizing two visas at the same time gives you at least twice the thrill, depending on the embassies' requirements.

In Kuala Lumpur (KL) I wanted to get both, a 60-day-visa for Indonesia and a one-year-visa for Australia. So the day after arriving in KL, the first thing I did, was to go to post office to pick up a letter (mail for Benno! The real stuff, not just electronics...) from where I went straight to the Australian embassy, equipped with my passport, some copies thereof, some additional passport fotograph, a recent bank statement, everything I could imagine they wanted to have.
After having passed an airportlike security check I reached the visa section, took a number and sat down, waiting for my number to flash on a screen. The usual stuff.

Once it was my turn, I was told, that I could apply electronically for my visa. Now, that's nice to know, I said, but I wanted to have a visa actually sticked in my passport (the real stuff, not just electronics...), as it is a nicer souvenir, and because it could turn out handy, to have a visible visa in my passport, when looking for a private boat taking me to Australia. I am sure, ordinary skippers do not have access to that database of the Australian immigration authorities, where it says, that I may indeed come for a visit.

But I did not need to explain all this, the woman was happy to pass me form R48 to fill in for my traditional visa application, and another special form for explaining why I am not applying in my homecountry. Being rather a form-type of person, I was actually looking forward to this challenging paperwork. Yes, I always like to fill in forms, especially, when you can tick boxes. Even more, when none of the proposed options really fits -which in my case happens surprisingly often-, giving me a chance to overrule the common stereotypes, and ajust the form to my likings. It's like a game. Well, I am not going into details about these forms now, but having them duely completed I went up to the counter number 1 again, where I handed in forms, passport, a photograph, bank statement, and the visafee to receive another number in exchange. So I sat down again to wait.

This time it was counter number 3. I got my passport back, together with still another form, and a list of physicians in KL. I have to get an x-ray of my chest to check on TB (tuberculosis), the lady said, "as you have been to countries like Iran".
Strange, I thought, Iran was the only country in Asia, where I actually felt safe to drink water from the tap. And checking on the website of the World Health Organization confirms, too, that TB-vise, Iran is the safest country I have been to since Slovenia and about 10 times safer than Pakistan, India, or Indonesia. Maybe that woman was not properly informed?

Anyway, back I was on the street. And that's one of those situations, where a local mobile phone number really comes in handy. I called the first cabinet on the list, which happened to be not too far away from my hotel, and asked, if I could come along on the same day. Yes, I could, and I did, and afterwards I just hoped, that the physician wouldn't take too long to post the x-ray and the corresponding form to the embassy. When I walked out of the physician's, I suddenly wondered again about this TB-thing. I had been vaccinated against TB. So there is little chance of contracting it. And why didn't that woman at the embassy ask for a vaccination-certificate first, rather than demanding immediately an x-ray? Was this x-ray really for medical purposes? Or was there perhaps also a bio-metrical purpose for identification?

I was satisfied with this day number one, having sorted out the Australians. As the Indonesian embassy was not situated near public transport and it was getting close to 4pm, I decided to go there the day after. After all, the Australian visa could take up to an extraordinary 10 working days to proceed, so there was no hurry.

The day after, a Thursday, the Indonesian embassy was closed. It's a public holdiday, I was told. A little later, reading a newspaper around a cup of coffe, I found out, that it was coronation day, Malaysia just got a new king. Instead of turning my deception about the embassy being closed into anger, I decided to honour the king's coronation, by copying one of those many congratulation pages in the newspaper, which read all the same and were sponsored by big and important companies.

Another day later, the Indonesian embassy was crowded, hundreds of Indonesians were there, someone was even selling food. Luckily, the visa section for foreigners was a little less crowded. The form to fill in was of the simple, doublesided type, no creativity added to it. But the lady at the counter told me, that I must bring a copy of a return- or onwardticket with me, when I come to pick up the visa. I tried to explain, that this is not possible, because I will use some creativity to travel to Australia by ship, as mentioned on the application. But in vain, and also the trick with the bank statement did not work. She insisted in a return- or onwardticket. And when I threatened to buy a return ticket, which I am not going to use, she thought that's fine.

So I left the embassy without my passport, but with a ticket, confirming, that my passport was deposited at the Indonesian embassy for visa application, and that I could pick it up on 3rd May, six days later, on presentation of a return-/throughticket. Normally it only takes three working days, but as the embassy would be closed on 1st and 2nd of May for labour day and Wesak day, six days meant actually only two working days. As it happened, within the eight days after my arrival in KL, there were not only two days of weekend, but also three public holidays.

As for the returnticket requirement, I found there would be two options. I could buy an airline ticket to Jakarta and back, and try to cancel it and get the money refunded after picking up my visa. As I am dickheadedly not only refusing to use airline services for transportation, but their services all together, this option was out of question.
Beside this, I wanted to play the game as honestly as possible, and decided to buy a return ticket for a ferry, which I would use at least for a oneway journey. That way I could technically argue, that I changed my mind only after arriving in Indonesia. I tried a few travel agencies, I asked the guesthouse manager, but it was not possible to buy a ferry ticket in KL. I would have to go to Melaka to buy the ticket.

The decision how to do this was easy. To me it is always much more pleasant, to arrive in a city for the first time by bicycle. This way I believe I get a better feeling for the place, and I don't need the services of overcharging taxi- or rikshawdrivers to get around. Thus I decided to pack my gear and spend labour and Wesak day cycling down to Melaka, buy the ferryticket, and catch a bus back to KL to pick up my visas.

On monday before leaving KL, I checked with the Australian embassy. They said that they had just received my x-ray, so that the visa would be ready on Thursday, too. Perfect! The only tricky thing was, that the Australian visa section is open from 9am to 12m only, but that my passport was at the Indonesian embassy, where I am normally supposed to pick it up between 3pm and 4.30pm.

So my plan was, to get to Melaka on Wednesday, buy a ferryticket, then on Thursday catch an early bus to KL, pick up my passport at the Indonesian embassy in the morning, and try to make it before noon to the Australian embassy.
With a bit of luck it would be possible, but I expected rather to stay the night in KL and pick up the Australian visa on Friday.

When I tried to leave the guesthouse in Melaka at 7.10 am the door was locked. I had somehow expected that, as there was a sign saying "no checkout before 7.30am". Well, I was not going to check out, I just wanted to go out. I sat down and waited, it wouldn't be my last wait today anyway, I thought. At 7.20am, the receptionist finally got up and opened the door. There's a bus at 7.30am, he says, as I leave. Thanks, I thought, but the busstation is at least half an hour walking, if I am lucky, I will make it there by 8am now. I still refused to take a taxi. After 40min of stiff walking, at exactly 8am I walked into the bus station. Some buses, obviously scheduled to leave at 8am, were just leaving. But as I come around the corner, I saw a bus, written KL on it, which was still waiting. The driver pointed to the counter, where I should get a ticket. I rushed there, and quickly bought a ticket for the 8am bus. Too bad for the driver, that it was the counter of a different company, so I got into the bus which was waiting next to it. As I stepped in, the door closed and both buses left. Phew, just-in-time-management!

I slept nearly the whole way to KL, dreaming of a fast roller-coaster-like busride on a narrow road, with a vertical slope falling down to infinity on either side of the road. Just before KL I woke up and put on the seat belt for the last 10 minutes. You never know...

At 10.20am we arrived at the busstation in KL, from where I immediately set off walking to the Indonesian embassy. There is no metrostation nearby the embassy. Just before 11am I arrived. I had my ferryticket, but -stupid me- I didn't have a copy of it. I expected to be able to make a copy at the copy-counter of the embassy, where I had my passport copied when I applied for the visa. But this time there were a lot of people not lining up at the counter. Everyone was pushing and reaching out his passport and other documents to get copied. I resigned getting a copy there. I really didn't feel like pushing my way through to the counter to get my copy, nor to be the only one lining up till the evening. So I walked out the embassy again in the search of another copy machine. There was tall office-like building a hundred meters down the road. I walked into the lobby and told the security guard, that I want to make a copy. Not possible, he says.
- Well, I am sure, that there must be a copy machine in this building, and I would just like to ask someone to do me a favor.
- No.
I insisted, asking to see some kind of manager which was marked to be on the 3rd floor. No. Then the bank which was marked on floor 4-6. Eventually, I was told to go to floor six, where I found a glass door locked. As the two security guards behind the glass door outnumbered me, they opened, and one of the men kindly had me seated to wait while he went off to get a copy of my ticket.

I rushed back to the embassy, visa section, handed in the passport-ticket and the copy of my ferryticket.
- Please sit down and wait.
I waited, it was 11.15am. Another woman-customer comes in with a pile of paper. She apologized to the lady at the counter saying, that there is no line at the copycounter outside, and that she doesn't feel like pushing her way through that crowd, like everybody else did. Well, I could understand her, as she left again, still that pile of papers in her hand, probably for the search of another copymachine.

11.25, I have my passport back with a 60-day visa for Indonesia. The Australian embassy is a good half an hour away, when walking fast. Alternatively, there were taxis waiting outside. But no, I can make it, and again, for the third time today I set off for a stiff walk. The Australian embassy is near the Twin tower of KL, which can be seen from just about anywhere. So when I came passed a road turning off from the main road and leading straight towards these twin towers I decided to take a risk and try this road as a shortcut.

11.52, After having passed the security check, I am sitting in the waiting room of the Australian visa section, waiting for number 58 to be called.

12.15, I stumble out into the humid heat of Kuala Lumpur. In my hands I joyfully hold my passport with two fresh visas, 60 days for Indonesia, 1 year for Australia. Johnny, we've made it!

On the Australian visa it says "no work", "allowed to study up to 3 months", "x-ray if studies > 4 weeks". There it comes again this x-ray. Do Australians need to x-ray their chest when studying? Am I more infectious when studying than when travelling and reading books? Somehow I just can't get rid of the feeling, that this x-ray had a purely biometrical identification purpose, rather than a medical purpose. The inappropriate comment on Iran by the woman at the embassy would somehow strangely fit to this idea, too. And it's no secret, that the current Australian government sticks firmly to the US foreign policy. But why not be straight about it? Why pretend a medical purpose?

Anyway, my visa run was successfully completed and I was happy. So I went to eat and enjoy the afternoon in KL with a walk through the city forest and a ride up the KL Tower before in the evening catching a bus back to Melaka.

 Daulat Tuanku II   

Kuala Lumpur / 29-04-2007 

Daulat Tuanku is Malaysian and means something like "long live the king". Three days ago, the new king, His Majesty the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong XIII has been installed, here. As I happened to be in Kuala Lumpur, I considered it as appropriate, to pay my respect accordingly.

Yesterday evening, there was a public celebration just around the corner, which was broadcasted on TV. It was a dance spectacle with 1008 performing artists in various traditional dresses, from the different people living in Malaysia, followed by some fireworks. Malaysia, by the way, is a remarkably multicultural society, where Malay people live peacefully together with large Chinese and Indian minorities, each of them bringing along their own culture, their own religion, their own language, their own alphabet.

Of course, His majesty, the king, took also part in the festivities, and with him a good number of diplomats of foreign countries. I considered it as a spectacle by itself, when at the end, there was a long line of mostly black expensive cars rolling up, many of them decorated with the flag of the respective country, picking up the ambassadors and their wives. Of course I was looking out for a car with a Swiss flag, but without any success. Now, I can only speculate about the reason.

Maybe due to the democratic (read anti-monarchist) tradition of Switzerland, the ambassador decided to boycott the event? - Unlikely.
Maybe the Swiss ambassador modestly decided not to display his own flag? - Rather likely.
Maybe due to his environmental awareness the Swiss ambassador decided to come by public transport, by bicycle or by walking? - Not impossible.
Or maybe -unmodestly- I happened to be the ambassador of Switzerland, but I didn't know...

 Daulat Tuanku   

Kuala Lumpur / 26-04-2007 

Salutations and Heartiest Congratulations to

His Majesty the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong Al-Wathiqu Billah Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah
D.K.M., D.K.T, D.K.R, D.M.N, S.U.M.Z, S.S.M.T., S.P.M.T, D.K.(Perlis), D.K.(Johor), D.K.M.B.(Brunei), D.K.(Perak), D.K.(Negeri Sembilan), D.K.(Kedah), D.K.(Kelantan), D.K.(Selangor), S.P.M.J., Commandeur de la Légion d'Honneur (France)


Her Majesty the Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Nur Zahirah
D.M.N., D.K., S.S.M.Z., S.S.M.T

on the Installation of His Majesty as the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong XIII on 26 April 2007 (8 Rabiulakhir 1428)

May God Bless His Majesty's Reign.


Georgetown / 15-04-2007 

Im Süden von Thailand gibt es unzählige kleine Wasserfälle und Höhlen, romantisch in den tropischen Wäldern gelegen. Meist bildet sich unterhalb dieser Wasserfälle ein kleines Bassin, welches zu einem erfrischenden Bad einlädt. Auf Phuket hatte ich mit Senta schon zwei solcher Wasserfälle besucht, und auf dem Weg weiter Richtung Süden hat es immer wieder Wegweiser zu solchen Wasserfällen oder zu Höhlen, welche halt auch hie und da einen einsamen Radfahrer vom Weg abbringen, im wortwörtlichen Sinne.

Ob man der Versuchung, beziehungsweise dem Wegweiser, folgt, hängt dann im Wesentlichen davon ab, wie weit von der Strasse weg sich dieser Wasserfall befindet. Da man den ganzen Weg zur Hauptstrasse wieder zurückradeln muss, zählt also jeder Kilometer doppelt. Und man weiss, wenn es rauf geht, dann geht es auf dem Rückweg runter, und was viel ärgerlicher ist, wenn es runter geht, geht es wieder rauf mit Gepäck.

Als ich am vergangenen Dienstag in Trang losradelte kam ich nachmittags wieder einmal an so einem Wegweiser vorbei. Er zeigte zu den Than Pliu Falls. Ich zögerte. 6 km seien es, sagte mir jemand. Schlussendlich ging ich doch hin. Es waren 7 km, aber es lohnte sich. Das Wasser plätscherte lauschig und launig durch den Wald über die Wurzeln der Bäume nachdem es über einen grossen Felsen geplätschert ist. Oben ist der Felsen flach genug, so dass sich Kinder ins fliessende Wasser setzten und vergnügten. Ich kletterte ebenfalls auf den Felsen und folgte dem Bach hoch bis zu einer Höhle, wo es wieder ein kleines Becken bildet, welches zum Schwimmen einlädt. Allerdings war es schon etwas voll mit Thais, die darin mit Shorts und T-Shirt badeten und den nahenden Ausländer mit einem freundlichen Lächeln begrüssten. Ich begnügte mich deshalb mit dem erfrischenden Anblick und hielt ihn zum Vergnügen aller auch noch fotographisch fest.

Als ich zurück beim Fahrrad war, begann es kurz leicht zu regnen, so dass ich noch etwas ass, bevor ich wieder zurück zur Strasse und weiter radelte. Der Regen hat wieder aufgehört, aber hinter mir türmten sich immer grössere Gewitterwolken auf. Und plötzlich denke ich, dass diese möglicherweise nicht ungefährlich sind, wenn man bei einem dieser vielen Wasserfälle badet. Plötzliche heftige Regenfälle könnten eine Sturmflut auslösen so dass sich der Wasserfall plötzlich in eine Wasserfalle verwandelt. Eine Stunde später gegen vier Uhr finde ich Unterschlupf unter einem Dach, während sich die Wolke in Strömen entleert.

Am folgenden Tag dasselbe heisse Wetter, aber der heftige Regen kommt eine Stunde früher.

Am Donnerstag, habe ich vormittags das Becken unterhalb des Yaroj-Falles kurz vor der malayischen Grenze ganz für mich alleine, und begnüge mich nicht mehr nur mit dem Genuss des erfrischenden Anblicks.

Nochmals zwei Tage später (gestern) komme ich in Georgetown an, und lese die online-Ausgabe der Baslerzeitung. Dutzende Menschen seien im Süden Thailands nach einer plötzlichen Sturmflut bei zwei dieser Wasserfälle ums Leben gekommen. Eine Katastrophe, genau so, wie ich sie mir ein paar Tage zuvor nach meinem Besuch beim Than Pliu Fall noch ausgemalt hatte. Ich fühle mich seltsam betroffen.

Die besondere Tragik: Beim thailändischen Neujahrsfest (ich war bereits in Malaysia) sei es üblich, sich gegenseitig mit Wasser zu bespritzen, und zwar nicht in bescheidener Menge. Die Natur hat diesmal offenbar mitgefeiert, wenn auch etwas gar heftig.


Trang / 09-04-2007 

Un grand rassemblement de grattes-ciel vitrés, de centres commerciaux à la néo-européenne, de tours de bureaux à moitié vides sinon à moitié complets, autour de tout ça un réseau de route à quatre, six, huits voies, voire plus, ne laissant guère de l'espace aux modes de transports humains de leurs côtés, de temps en temps un oasis dans la forme d'un parc Lumpini, d'un palais royale, de la rivière Chao Praya ou d'un quartier calme autour de l'église St. Francis Xavier et à travers tout ça le train au ciel (skytrain), une sorte de métro qui serpente entre les grands immeubles à une dizaine de mètres audessus du niveau de la route, renforçant encore le sentiment déjà assez encombrant des bâtiments aux gens qui se déplacent sur terre, mais qui donne en même temps à ses passager une sensation de voler à travers cette ville à deux étages. Voilà, c'est Bangkok.

Mais qu'est-ce que je fais à Bangkok? A mon arrivée à Trang, la première chose que j'avait fait, c'était d'aller à la gare pour demander un billet pour Bangkok. Le monsieur derrière le guichet s'excuse, il ne reste plus que de billet de troisième classe. Tant mieux, j'aurais donc une bonne excuse pour économiser un peu d'argent. Le lendemain je m'embarque donc dans le wagon de troisième classe après avoir payé la chambre d'hôtel pour mon vélo, qui va rester à Trang. Heureusement j'ai une place à la fenêtre dans un compartiment à quatre, avec des sièges qui proposent à peu près le même confort comme les anciens trams de Bâle. En face du couloir une famille s'est installé dans le compartiment à six personnes. Décidément, ces wagons sont conçu pour une stature asiatique plutôt qu'europénne.

A 17h20 précise, une fort secousse, et le train se met en route sur son rail étroit, un peu comme les rail du tram bâlois, d'abord lentement, puis toujours plus vite, jusqu'à ce qu'on a l'impression de sauter le long des rails. Je fais confiance aux ressorts qu'ils nous tiennent sur les rails.

Quand la nuit tombait j'enviais la famille à côté. Les enfants se sont allongés par terre, laissant plus de places aux adultes de dormir sur le banc. Au bout d'un moment la tête de mon voisin se descend petit à petit sur mon épaule, pour se redresser brusquement au dernier moment. Vas-y, je pense, mais comme moi, mes covoyageurs se courbent par ci, se plient par là après, et miraculeusement chacun trouve un petit peu du sommeil quandmême.

Après presque 15 heures nous arrivons à l'heure à Bangkok. Je descends à la station Bang Sue, l'arrêt avant la gare centrale. De mon tram bâlois je me déplace sous terre pour prendre un métro ultramoderne de Bangkok. A l'entrée, mon sac est fouillé par un officier de sécurité - pour la première fois depuis avoir quitté la Suisse! Deux arrêts plus tard je quitte le monde souterrain pour m'élever aux cieux du Skytrain. A l'entrée de la station Mo Chit, Samuel, un ancien ami d'études, m'attend. Lui et sa copine Philippa me feront donc passer trois journées extraordinaires dans la capitale thaïlandais, et me dorlotent pour finir avec un fondue au frommage suisse. Du vrai frommage suisse, un mélange fait maison d'une frommagerie morgien, et, en plus, servi avec du vin vaudois!

Il ne me reste qu'à dire: Merci beaucoup Sam et Philippa!

 My Climate   

Phuket / 29-03-2007 

Wieder sitze ich in einem Restaurant an der Kata Noi Beach in Phuket, wieder betrachte ich kontemplierend all die weissen Gesichter um mich rum. Alle eingeflogen - nehme ich an. Ein Umweltsünder neben dem anderen, was tue ich hier eigentlich? Und plötzlich denke ich an My Climate. My Climate ist eine Organisation, mit der man angeblich den CO2-Ausstoss, der beim Fliegen anfällt, kompensieren lassen kann. Das heisst, man kauft sich ein Zusatzticket, womit Projekte finanziert werden, welche den CO2-Ausstoss verringern, den man beim Fliegen verursacht hat. Es ist zwar eine Art Ablasshandel, und deshalb nicht mein Ding. Ich ziehe es vor, ganz auf das Fliegen zu verzichten. Man wird es mir hoffentlich glauben...

Auf jeden Fall denke ich, dass hier ein Paradies sein müsste für My Climate-Aktivisten. In den Restaurants hier rumzugehen und Flyers den weissen Gesichtern unter die Nase zu reiben. Und ich bin überzeugt, man wäre nicht einmal so erfolglos. Es gibt viel Geld hier, sehr viel Geld. Die Leute sind weg vom Alltagsstress, haben Zeit, sie sind in Spendierlaune. Der eine oder andere mag vielleicht nichts hören von Umweltproblemen im Urlaub, andere wiederum sind wohl offener für solche "Nebensächlichkeiten" im Urlaub als im Alltagsstress.

Und ich stelle mir vor, wie ich hier MyClimate-Flyer verteile, und ein europäischer Ewig-Nörgler mir unterstellt, dass ich aus Umweltgründen besser zuhause bleiben würde, als hierherzufliegen und ihn mit MyClimate-Flyer zu belästigen. Er hätte natürlich recht, ausser dass ich eben nicht angeflogen kam, sondern mit dem Fahrrad und dem Schiff angereist bin. Wenn das nicht überzeugt! Aber eben, ich habe keine Flyer dabei und kann deshalb den Urlaub geniessen, ohne mich in solche Streitgespräche zu verwickeln.

Und plötzlich kombiniere ich - wie immer - diese Gedanken, mit einem Gedanken, den ich ein paar Tage zuvor schon gehabt hatte. Warum nicht die Insel Phuket in ein Paradies der Nachhaltigkeit umwandeln? Statt Benzin-Scooter zu vermieten, Elektroscooter oder andere Elektrofahrzeuge zu vermieten und ein Netzwerk von Solartankstellen aufzubauen? Statt den privaten Taxis und Tuktuks als praktisch einzige Form von öffentlichen Verkehr ein gutes Netz von Elektrobussen aufzubauen? Man könnte viel machen hier, und das Geld wäre vorhanden. Es liegt an den Stränden rum, in Millionen. Man muss sie nur irgendwie den Leuten aus den Taschen ziehen können. Aber eben, nicht für irgendetwas, sondern für energetisch nachhaltige Projekte. Und warum nicht hier beginnen? Phuket ist für viele Leute ein Paradies. Wie schön, wenn es auch für die Umwelt ein Paradies wäre!

Warum also nicht eine My Climate-Organisation in Phuket, welche den reichen Flugpassagieren ins Gewissen redet, um die CO2-Last nicht irgendwo in Afrika, sonder lokal in Phuket wieder auszugleichen? Und jeder kann die Projekte auch gleich selbst vor Ort anschauen. Er ist ja im Urlaub und hat vielleicht Zeit dazu...

PS: Ganz im Süden der Insel auf dem Cape Promthep steht eine einzelne moderne Windkraftanlage. Ob das ein Anfang ist...?


Port Blair / 26-03-2007 

Ja, ich radle ohne Helm, und nein, darum geht es hier nicht.
Es geht um die anderen Zweiraeder, diejenigen mit Motor. Seit ich den Bosporus ueberquert habe, schon ein bisschen davor, gibt es naemlich keine Helmpflicht mehr, dafuer bedeutend mehr motorisierte Zweiraeder, die oftmals auch noch bedeutend besser ausgelastet sind als westlich vom Bosporus. Eine fuenfkoepfige Familie auf einem Motorrad mit knapp 250ccm ist in Asien kein besonderer Anblick.

Man kann darueber denken, was man will. Aber ich verstehe, dass es doch sehr umstaendlich waere, wenn man fuenf Helme mitschleppen muss, sobald man das Motorrad verlaesst, vor allem wenn man das juengste Familienmitglied und die Einkaufstasche auch noch irgendwie tragen muss. Und... gibt es ueberhaupt Motorradhelme fuer Saeuglinge?

Aber die ganze Sache ist nicht ungefaehrlich, umso mehr, als die Frauen oestlich von Balutschistan ueblicherweise seitlich auf dem Motorrad sitzen. Und so gibt es - zum Glueck - auch immer wieder Staedte, welche mit Kampagnen die Motorradfahrer dazu anhalten, Helme zu tragen, aus Sicherheitsgruenden eben. Solche Kampagnen machen durchaus Sinn, und haben mancherorts sogar Erfolg, wenn zuweilen auch einen zweifelhaften Erfolg, so wie in Port Blair.

Dort gibt es naemlich eine Motorradhelmkampagne. Verstaendig wie die Inder sind, dachten sie, dass es wohl tatsaechlich sicherer waere, einen Helm zu tragen, gehen in den naechsten Laden und kaufen sich einen Helm. Viel Geld moechte man dafuer allerdings nicht ausgeben, also kauft man sich das billigste Modell - ein Baustellenhelm. In Port Blair faehrt tatsaechlich die Mehrheit der Motorradfahrer mit Helm, aber die Haelfte davon mit einem Baustellenhelm.

Nun, ich bin ueberzeugt, dass solche Helme nicht nur bei fallenden Ziegelsteinen, sondern allenfalls auch noch bei fallenden Kokosnuessen einen wirksamen Schutz bieten. Aber ob sie auch die fallenden Motorradfahrer schuetzen, bevor sie selbst von deren Koepfe fallen? Ich wuensche den Indern, dass sie dies nie herausfinden werden.


Kolkata / 28-02-2007 

In Kolkata (or Calcutta as the British used to call this place) I had the chance again to go to a cinema. The choice of films however is not so big, even less if you are limited to english language movies. But there was a cinema not far from my hotel showing "Blood Diamond". Even though I expected it to have quite some violence in it, which is not my kind of movies at all, it also promised to pick up a political issue, that might be worth having a look at. So I went to watch it.

Most of the movie is set in Sierra Leone. When comparing the rural and city life in the film with my experience here, I found, that Africa is actually not dirtier than India at all.

And India played its part in the film, too, when it was said, that the blood diamonds find their way into the legal market of precious stones by going first to Antwerpen in Belgium, and from there to India. I had to think of Jaipur, a city that boasted itself to be the city of Jewels and Diamonds.

After a lot of bloodshed, there was some sort of happy end to the film. The main character could save his family to the secure and wealthy London. But in my case, the relief of the happy end only lasted until I stepped out of the fictional movie-world into the misery of the real world in Kolkata.

It was quarter past eleven at night, outside the cinema a few barefooted rikshaw-pullers were waiting and hoping for some clients. I walked past them with a slight and rejecting movement of my head, to indicate, that I will walk myself, and that I don't want to discuss about it. I walked down the empty streets full of rubbish, looking at all these people lying asleep under the arcades or hugged towards the walls of the houses. Some have blankets, others don't. And somewhere nearby, dogs are barking. They are homeless, too.

The scenery is even more miserable, here, than in the film, I thought now. Yet, life is probably still much better, as nobody has to expect any pick-up with a load of rebells coming around the corner any moment and shooting aimlessly around.

Peace is the most precious thing we can have, and the most delicate thing to conserve...

 die Sache mit dem Wasser   

Keoladeo Nationalpark (Bharatpur) / 25-01-2007 

Der Gaestebucheintrag von Marianne P. inspiriert mich, von meinem Besuch im Keoladeo Nationalpark zu berichten. "Bird Paradise" (Vogelparadies) steht auf der Broschuere, und tatsaechlich, es gibt viele Voegel. Im Park hat es aber auch ein Museum zum Thema Wasser. Nicht ganz unpassend, ist doch ein Drittel des Parks, insgesamt immerhin 29 Quadratkilometer, sogenannte "Wetlands" also Nassgebiete (sogenannte "Ramsar"-Site), vor allem nach dem Monsun. In Maerz/April, wenn es wieder so richtig heiss wird, soll sich das Wasser wieder langsam zurueckziehen. Nun ja, es ist ja erst Januar, und ich freute mich auf den See, den man je nach Wasserstand auch mit dem Boot besuchen kann.

Tja, ich fuhr da rein mit dem Fahrrad und sah vor allem... Savanne. Als ich dann doch ein paar Tuempel sehe, bin ich froh, dass es noch Wasser gibt, damit nicht die letzten Fische auch noch aussterben. Der Fischreichtum ist unter anderem ein Grund, warum es auch ein Vogelparadies ist, zumindest fuer gewisse Voegel. In der Naehe dieser Tuempel hoerte ich aber nicht nur Vogelgezwitscher, sondern ein lautes Generatorgetucker, und dies in einem Nationalpark, wo die Leute angehalten werden, sich wegen der sensiblen Fauna nicht zu laut zu verhalten. Es war eine Wasserpumpe, welche die Pfuetzen mit Wasser fuetterte, damit noch etwas von diesem "Wetland" uebrigbleibt. Und dies bereits im Januar!

Nun gut, in der Schweiz sieht es mit den UNESCO-Geschuetzten Naturgebieten wie dem Aletschgletscher ja nicht viel anders aus. Vielleicht wird demnaechst auch dieser mit ein paar Kuehlschlaufen am Leben erhalten, damit das Aletschgebiet auch in Zukunft noch als Gletscher bezeichnet werden darf...

nach oben